james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: JavaMail API and SMTP transport for Geronimo
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:30:27 GMT

> 1) How do we know they are compatible?

Thats the nightmare for you! not only do you have to conform to the java
mail spec but also
to the miriad RFC's for mail.

We have a lot of knowedge about how the stds should be implemented, but not
a test kit of any kind.

It is certainly reasonable to use James as a testbed, James' architecture
provides several points at which
test cases could be inserted.

Its probably worth restating the enormity of the task, for the spec and an
impl you'd have to test conformance with RFC's for:

domain names
email addresses
POP
SMTP & ESMTP (for both send and receive)
NNTP
IMAP
Message format
MIME - including providing handlers for at least a few common content
types, especially the gruesome multipart/* ones.

James relies on JavaMail to provide a lot of this, simply because the
effort of producing reliable conformant implementations
far outweighs the benefit of "ownership". Why re-invent the wheel when
there weren't a great many of the JavaMail classes we'd like to change?
Though I think that if it made proper use of interfaces as types we'd be
more inclined to replace some of the key ones.

> 2) Transport providers, especially SMTP

James uses the sun RI ones, but we have some issues with them and would
like to have the resources to write our one ones.
Sadly we haven't done so yet.

I can understand that the licence is an issue, we had an issue with it
which we resolved by only distributing them with binaries.
I also think we'd be happy to collaborate, I'm much less sure how much we
can realistically offer beyond our knowedge.

d.

viruses.