james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Mohombe <amoho...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:32:55 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Ahmed Mohombe wrote:
>
>>> One of the things I like about James is it's use of
>>> pure Java.
>>

>> Me too.
>>
>> Please, I beg you, put no Groovy/JPython or other things like this in
>> it. For Got sake, let JAMES be a JAVA project.
>

> Can you explain your objection, or at least clarify it since Groovy is
> Java.
IMHO Groovy is not Java. Just open a Groovy file in a modern IDE (e.g.
IntelliJ) and tell me what support do you have for it?

> Either we use groovy, use another container's XML construct to configure
> James, or invent our own XML structure.  What do you suggest?
Isn't the Jakarta-commons Digester not good enough?
Besides, what's so complicated to make a simple and verbose XML
configuration (so that everyone understands it)?
A simple XML structure can very easily get a simple Swing or Web GUI, so
that everyone can edit/change the configuration without too many errors.

Just my 2 cents,

Ahmed.