james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Mohombe <amoho...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:01:50 GMT
> I was just pointing out that the decision to use Groovy has no Java
> alternative.  Instead of a Groovy file, you'd use an XML file, or a
> database table, or whatever.  Groovy is nice in that it is like/based on
> Java, as opposed to XML which is entirely another beast.
Everybody knows XML, and if the structure is well designed (+ a DTD),
than there's no need to learn something.

> Containers provide hot-reloading and
Like Phoenix? If I'm not wrong, for most of the important changes I make
now in the james config, I still need to restart it.
I've seen no "real hot-reloading" "out of the box" till yet.

IMHO, instead of the so called "hot-reloading", a simple "instruction"
in the "James-Admin" to reload the config file (if the admin wants that
- cause he changed the config file") would be enough.

> maybe logging if nothing else.
Well, IMHO there's nothing better than Log4J. Why to use another "layer"
since log4J does the job very well (and most of them redirect to log4j
anyway)?

>  but Digester is really too simple to handle the
> complexities we need (at least based on my experience using Digester).
Hmm, I've always thought that "less is more" :). Besides, why must be
the configuration of JAMES complex?.
"Divide et Impera": put the config in more than one file. A simple one
where most of the changes happen (this one could get a GUI/Wizard), and
another one(or more), that need restart of the server anyway(with
configs that might be very seldom changed).

Ahmed.