james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:28:17 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Serge Knystautas wrote:
>
> > Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > Not here:
> > <snip />
> > What is your point Noel?
>
> That there is a usefulness, and that the supposed positioning
> of the pattern as an anti-pattern isn't even agreed by those
> held up as the champions of CdI.  I think both approaches
> have their place.

Pragmatically, unless we are to rewrite the universe and exclusively use services offered
up as CDI oriented POJOs, we are going to run into this over and over - JNDI, JDBC, JavaMail,
and so forth.

The approach I take is to wrap such services within a lighweight CDI style adaptor so that
the "smell of an anti-pattern" is contained within a single component. This enables all components
to be plugged together using CDI, avoiding confusion and the "whiff" of different metaphors
("different metaphors" is non-religous speak for anti-pattern) spreading throughout the architecture.

-- Steve