james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:45:42 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> We actually use relatively little from Avalon other than lifecycle and
> configuration, both of which we could (and should in the latter case)
> replace.  What little else we use from Avalon can be replaced by equivalents
> from Jakarta Commons, or developed locally (user and message stores).  If we
> properly define our servicess as POJO interfaces, we don't need Spring.  I
> would favor creating Geronimo GBeans to adapt between that container and our
> services.

I spoke with Jeremy and some other Geronimo folk about this, and it
seems attractive since they have built a server framework as well.

I would only dispute the "if we properly define our services as POJO
interfaces"... we do need to go with SOME container, don't we?

> With respect to Groovy, I see that fitting into a startup role, and we
> should be open to seeing multiple technologies able to fill that role.  It
> should not be a core technology.

Can you expand on the startup role you could see it serving?

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501