james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Zhukov <zhu...@ukrpost.net>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:26:34 GMT
Noel J. Bergman пишет:
> In general, I like Alexander's enthusiasm and ideas.  Specific comments to
> follow.
>
> We actually use relatively little from Avalon other than lifecycle and
> configuration, both of which we could (and should in the latter case)
> replace.  What little else we use from Avalon can be replaced by equivalents
> from Jakarta Commons, or developed locally (user and message stores).  If we
> properly define our servicess as POJO interfaces, we don't need Spring.  I
> would favor creating Geronimo GBeans to adapt between that container and our
> services.
>
> With respect to Groovy, I see that fitting into a startup role, and we
> should be open to seeing multiple technologies able to fill that role.  It
> should not be a core technology.
Let me stress again that JamesNGs configuration can be written in
whatever language you want (certainly java included) so groovy is _not_
core technology of the proposed jamesng.
I think I have to write several examples of how not to use groovy _at
all_ in jamesng to configure it. Groovy seems as a way to simplify
things - if it complicates them - you can easily throw it away.

> Primary configuration could be defined via JNDI, and we finally have a good
> set of code to address that area.  We also have
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/ available.

Noel, I respect you very much, but please no JNDI configuration this
throws all POJO efforts away - again ALL (not the some but ALL) objects
requiring configuration have to now about external entity. That is bad
and does not give CDI IoC benefits.
As for commons-configuration it is like logging in a sense it is
supposed that every class on earth should use one and only configuration
method "commons-configuration", but in CDI IoC itself configuration idea
is built-in and no external library/framework/whatever is needed to
configure a collection of POJOs built with CDI IoC in mind.