james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Zhukov <zhu...@ukrpost.net>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:25:12 GMT
Noel!
By mentioning JNDI I guess you are talking about ServiceLocator pattern,
right?
It is considered as anti-pattern.
So using Context inside your component is definitely a BAD idea.
Google for discussion of this antipattern, since I see that I am not
very good at conviencing :)

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Alexander Zhukov wrote:
>

>>Noel J. Bergman пишет:
>

> Really?  I didn't even know that I knew how to пишет.  How cool!
>

>>>With respect to Groovy, I see that fitting into a startup role, and we
>>>should be open to seeing multiple technologies able to fill that role.
>

>>Let me stress again that JamesNGs configuration can be written in
>>whatever language you want (certainly java included)
>

>>>Primary configuration could be defined via JNDI, and we finally have a good
>>>set of code to address that area.  We also have
>>>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/ available.
>

>>please no JNDI configuration this throws all POJO efforts away
>

> That is absolutely not true.  POJO and JNDI are orthogonal.  Furthermore, JNDI is the
standard for all J2EE activities.  And Commons Configuration allows us to use XML, JNDI and
other media for configuration information.

> JNDI also means that we can administer things dynamically and across a cluster, which
would be a major bonus.

>>- again ALL (not the some but ALL) objects requiring configuration
>>have to now about external entity.
>

> We can use JNDI directly, e.g., context.lookup("services/DNSService"), where the InitialContext
is context-sensitive based upon configuration information for the component given that JNDI
context, and/or we can pass Commons Configuration objects into components.