james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Zhukov <zhu...@ukrpost.net>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:07:46 GMT
Steve Brewin wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>

>>Serge Knystautas wrote:

>>><snip />
>>>What is your point Noel?
>>
>>That there is a usefulness, and that the supposed positioning
>>of the pattern as an anti-pattern isn't even agreed by those
>>held up as the champions of CdI.  I think both approaches
>>have their place.
>

> Pragmatically, unless we are to rewrite the universe and exclusively use services offered
up as CDI oriented POJOs,
> we are going to run into this over and over - JNDI, JDBC, JavaMail, and so forth.
>
> The approach I take is to wrap such services within a lighweight CDI style adaptor  >
so that the "smell of an anti-pattern" is contained within a single
> component.
> This enables all components to be plugged together using CDI, avoiding confusion
> and the "whiff" of different metaphors ("different metaphors" is non-religous speak for
anti-pattern)
> spreading throughout the architecture.
A huge +1

Sure we cant refuse JNDI completely (jamesng proposal uses it as an
example LDAP store, which is by the way called JNDIUserStore:))
But putting JNDI Context inside each and every class that needs
configuration definitely ties all of our efforts back to avalon-style
solutions.
Apart from that we cant expect to write everything ourselves which means
we should exetensively use modules from other projects. And other
projects are out of our control, but still need configuration.
Wrapping these modules with CDI style adators instead of inventing yet
another wheel would be a huge benefit.

Another point to give up any configuration (in a component gluing) style
except CDI is its unbelievable simplicity. What is simple is guaranteed
to work more reliably than that comlex.