james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@ThoughtWorks.net>
Subject Re: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:15:47 GMT
Steve Brewin wrote:

>>I think James would secure itself most against the future by
>>developing a set of functional POJO's independent of any container.

+1

>>It would then be the responsibility of those who care to assemble them
>>into a deployable entity for the container of their choice.

+1

>One of the easiest pitfalls to fall into is to neglect lifecycle. Different
>containers use different method signatures for the same state. Coding to the
>lifecycle states of a given container destroys portability. James currently
>has a more sophisticated lifecycle (inherited from Avalon) than most IOC
>containers offer, we may need to retain this.

PicoContainer has a org.picocontainer.Startable interface (and others),
but James should have its own lifecycle concept
org.apache.james.Startable etc. When used with PicoContainer an
org.picocontainer.LifecycleManager implementation could recognise
James's start/stop/dispose methods and act accordingly.

- Paul
co-lead PicoContainer