james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Zhukov <zhu...@ukrpost.net>
Subject [jamesng] Re: The YAAFI Manifesto - WAS Re: Plans for Fulcrum release ....
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:13:57 GMT
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi Aron,
>
> I would like to point out that there is the James project suffering
> badly from the Avalonic wars (hence the cross-posting to the James
> Developer List). They recently had a long discussion to make an
> Avalon-free JamesNG
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/server-dev@james.apache.org/) but my gut
> feeling is that it won't be an easy task.
I am currently working on removing avalon dependence from current v2x
source of james and making james a set of POJOs
And I guess by the end of the following week it will be ready to be
testable by other developers
Yes you are right the task of throwing out avalon is not easy but its
worth the trouble.
It took me about two weeks already - I have pop3 and smtp servers
running, but not clean enough to show others.

> As a casual  James user and non-contributor I could imagine a few ways
> to go
>
> *) stick with Phoenix or migrate to Loom
> *) make a transition to Fortress to stay under an ASF umbrella
> *) jump-start an Avalon-free JamesNG and use an Avalon container of
> there choice for the migration process
> *) kick out Avalon, jump-start an Avalon-free JamesNG and go for Big Bang
I vote for the last one
+ reuse components already written by making them POJOs