james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Perry" <d.pe...@netcase.co.uk>
Subject RE: Which is the better way to compile JAMES : from ZIP or subversion ?, with Eclipse or not ?
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:10:37 GMT
> My aim is to configure a development environnement upon a stable release
> to study / compile / browse / search JAMES code.
> So, i tried two ways :
> - Unzip james code including phoenix (james-with-phoenix-2.2.0-src.zip)
> and try to configure Eclipse to build the project
> - Install subversion plugin for Eclipse, and check out the stuff.

I've done this.  Set up a project, with some tmp dir as build folder, and
include the right source dir, libs, etc.  Let eclipse build to the tmp dir,
but for building releases / test builds the ant (inside eclipse, or command
line).

> The first way seem to be difficult since james project seems not to be
> organized for eclipse (but I could be wrong)
> So I try the second way : check out the code from
> svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james but :
> I can't see which branche in the tree to check out has project (I am a
> newbie with subversion...) : is it server/tags/build_2_1_3.fcs or
> other ????
>
> Perhaps Eclipse is a wrong way, and it would be more easy to use
> something else, but what ? Which tool do you use to work onto James ? Or
> is it the first way the better one : do you know a tutorial ?

I find eclipse nice to thrash out code (and then copy working code into a
clean version of src files via jEdit). Though i've never bothered getting
james to build (properly) or run/debug from within eclipse.

Daniel.