james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Perry" <d.pe...@netcase.co.uk>
Subject RE: Mailing List Manager
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:33:36 GMT
Funnily enough, at the end of last week, i was told to sort out some mailing
lists for our server :)

I've had a look at the various list mailets available, and none meet all of
our requirements.

One problem with the mailing lists that ship with james is that they have to
be defined and configured in the config.xml file.  The problem with this is
that I!!! have to manually set up mailing lists by editing the config file.
i would like to be able to let other people do this through a nice web
interface, or even let clients set up their own lists.  Again another
drawback here is that you have to restart james to get the new list working.

I came accross another mailing list implementation, jGroups :
http://jvgroups.sourceforge.net/

"The jGroups mailing lists server will be a yahoo groups clone written in
Java, and using the James mail server and JSPs (Tomcat). The users can
create and admin groups, and read messages and attachs previously sent to
the groups."

I havnt had a chance to try it yet, but it overcomes the above problem by
using a single mailet/matcher that handles all groups. Mailing lists are
added dynamically in the database.

This list server doesnt use email commands for subscription/etc, which i
would prefer, and the web version of the lists looks a bit O-T-T for our
needs.

One feature also apparently missing from both solutions is the ability to
restrict who can post to groups beyond a subscriber-only level.  Ie. for
company anouncement lists, i want to be able to only allow a few select
individuals to post messages (obviously spoofing would get past this, but it
would stop most people), or even webapp only posting.

So, to sum up my requirements:

-Single mailet, one time only change to config file.
-JDBC based config/users store
-Webapp for admin to administer mailing lists (+ eventually users + maybe
even users self admin)
-More configurable mailing lists (some enhanced options/features not
available at the moment)
-Commands from users sent via email (optional admin via webapp - if enabled
for that list)

I think i'll set up command list server for the time being, and then try to
cobble together a new list server based on jGroups, and the command list
server.  Hopefully i can reuse much of the code.

Daniel.