james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:34:54 GMT
In general, I like Alexander's enthusiasm and ideas.  Specific comments to
follow.

We actually use relatively little from Avalon other than lifecycle and
configuration, both of which we could (and should in the latter case)
replace.  What little else we use from Avalon can be replaced by equivalents
from Jakarta Commons, or developed locally (user and message stores).  If we
properly define our servicess as POJO interfaces, we don't need Spring.  I
would favor creating Geronimo GBeans to adapt between that container and our
services.

With respect to Groovy, I see that fitting into a startup role, and we
should be open to seeing multiple technologies able to fill that role.  It
should not be a core technology.

Primary configuration could be defined via JNDI, and we finally have a good
set of code to address that area.  We also have
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/ available.

	--- Noel