james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [James-NG] Avalon-free James proposal and reference implementation
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:43:48 GMT
Serge,

> 1. add users to a domain
> 2. add domains to the server
> 3. change the list of mailets for a processor
> 4. change handler(s) for the MAIL FROM command during SMTP
> 5. change handler(s) of an incoming socket on port 25.

Making all of those (and more) dynamically configurable has been on the
wish-list for ages.  Agree with all of them.

> I don't really see how commons-configuration would be useful to us.

Provides an object abstraction to pass to an object describing its (current)
configuration.

> This does look about as anti-IoC as it gets

Why?  Not that IoC is the be-all and end-all of component design.

> now that I have seen a simple IoC framework in practice, I don't
> like JNDI and also appreciate what Avalon was trying to do.

Why?  IoC requires decorators for each thing being pushed, or pushes an
object providing pull access to the things you want.  Both of those are
present in Avalon.

> I don't know if we need to address that now since we all seem
> to agree that POJOs are the way to go.  It seems like we have
> a lot of work to talk about there before we get into how
> they're instantiated.

+1

	--- Noel