james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Soren Hilmer <soren.hil...@tietoenator.com>
Subject SpringJames vs. JamesNG
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:23:22 GMT
Hi all,

Serge recently posted a mail to server-user saying that a container switch was
a minor concern of ours (or at least something to that extent).
I disagree on this, I believe that we have to make a decission on the
container issue, to both keep existing comitters interested and possible
attract new skilled people.

The container issue is by far the one thing that is keeping myself from doing
commits into James. I hate doing something today and having to redo it all
over in a month or two.

I tried to follow the discussion on JamesNG a while back, but as I at that
time had little knowledge of neither Groovy nor Spring, I did not comment.

I have now done some reading on the two subjects and believe that Spring is
the way to go for James. My main concern on JamesNG (I know this is not
Groovy related) is the CDI principle IMO this principle leads to constructor
bloat if you want to have some properties with default values, and I believe
we do.
The Spring framework's Java-Bean approach is IMO a way better solution to the
POJO-ification issue.

Now I have started to convert James into POJO's the Spring way (only
James.java so far), but as I stated above I hate doing things over, so let us
take a vote. Is it going to be SpringJames or JamesNG.

I will start with a +1 for SpringJames.

--Søren

--
Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager             Phone:  +45 72 30 64 00