james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Bugeaud <buge...@gmail.com>
Subject J2EE as "Avalon" replacement on James ?
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:38:14 GMT
Hi all,

As I saw that avalon is apparently EOLed, I just ask myself a question.

I am not sure if the new container has been already choosen. If not,
what could prevent James to become a J2EE application and thus run in
an J2EE application server ?

If so, the new container will be J2EE standard container also one
could use the Apache Geronimo as primary target.

This means that it could benefit from all the distributed caching /
clustering / administration  (JMX) mechanism brought by any appserver.

Embeding the James connectors in JCA should also improve the
versatility as plugging new connectors to push streams will be quite
easy and James could benefit from existing connectors as well.

So, my personal oppinion is that James is great but it should not try
to reinvent the wheel and sit on to of existing & proven solutions.

NB: upcoming EJB3 is anticipated to be a big thing with injected
references, lightweight persistence (inspired by Hibernate) and POJO
design. So, lots of things people need but defined on a future J2EE
standard.

Any mind on all that ?

Regards,
JB