james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Heath <m...@cycletime.com>
Subject Mina based SMTP Handler
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:45:36 GMT
I checked in the initial version of my Mina based SMTP handler to the
James HA project on Source Forge.  Once Source Forge updates its CVS
mirrors, you can check out the code doing the following:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/james-ha login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/james-ha co -P
mina_smtp

or browse it from the web here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/james-ha/

Again, this will take a while to show up on Source Forge because of
their mirroring process so be patient.

SMTP Auth, message size limiting and everything else that is in the
James SMTP handler is implemented.  At the moment, once a message is
received, it is simply outputted to the console as a string.  The code
requires JDK 1.5 as it uses some generics, enums and StringBuilder
instead of StringBuffer for efficiency.  The project is also Maven
based.  To compile and run the code, you need to check-out the Apache
Directory source and install the Mina jars via 'maven jar:install'.  If
anyone has questions about this, I would be happy to try and answer
them.

I'm hoping that those with more SMTP and Mina experience than I have
will take a look at the code and let me know where I need to make
changes and improvements.

Mina is an excellent framework.  The Mina based SMTP handler is much
easier to read and understand than the one in James (at least, IMO).
This all thanks to how well the Mina framework works.

I would be happy to work with any James committers on merging my SMTP
code into the new James HEAD (assuming the vote passes to create a new
HEAD.)  I would also like to work on porting POP, IMAP and NNTP to Mina.

-Mike