james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Heath <m...@cycletime.com>
Subject Mina SMTP implementation updates
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:54:39 GMT
For those that are interested, I've updated my Mina based SMTP
implementation.  I've added most of the suggestions I received from the
list.  (BTW - Thanks for all of your valuable feedback.)

The CVS instructions to get to the code are here
(http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=115603).  Again, you need to wait
for the SF CVS mirrors to update.

Noteworthy changes:
 - Better line feed handling
 - Command implementations are no longer in-lined.  The code is very
flexible and command implementations can be easily added.  One of the
cool side affects of this is that HELO/EHLO responses are no longer
static and poll all the command implementations for the HELO/EHLO
 - I've started looking into TLS but haven't got very far yet.
 - The protocol decoder is much more robust.  As part of my changes, I'm
passing around instances of CharSequence instead of strings.  The idea
behind this was to reduce the amount of copying data from the
ByteBuffer.  It ended up being much more work than it's probably worth
but the idea is a good one and I will be able to use it for a different
project so it's not all bad.
 - I also added some unit tests.  Again I have to say how wonderful Mina
is.  It makes it very easy to unit test all the protocol handling code.
It's a very well done framework.

The code is still really rough around the edges but it's looking a lot
better.

My next goals are to port POP and IMAP over to MINA.  I'm hoping to
abstract out as many of the commonalities as I can.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

-Mike