james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Soren Hilmer <soren.hil...@tietoenator.com>
Subject Re: SpringJames vs. JamesNG
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:26:02 GMT
On Friday 01 April 2005 11:06, apache@bago.org wrote:
> > Someone asked for a road-map:
> > 1. POJOification
> > 2. Possibly taking ownership over a few Phoenix things
> > [...]
> > But I see this as done in concert, as you probably need to do
> > 2. while doing 1.
>
> Here is a count of package dependency from the current svn 2_1_fcs branch
> (pls note that I grouped class import into packages for a better overview):
>
>  32 import org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.connection.*
>  10 import
> org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.datasource.DataSourceSelector;
>  24 import org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.scheduler.*;
>   4 import org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.sockets.*;
>  30 import org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.store.*;
>   8 import org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.threads.ThreadManager;
>   2 import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.collections.ListUtils;
>  14 import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.DataSourceComponent;
>  24 import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.*;
>  74 import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.*;
>  22 import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.*;
> 108 import org.apache.avalon.framework.activity.*;
>   2 import org.apache.avalon.framework.CascadingRuntimeException;
> 186 import org.apache.avalon.framework.component.*;
> 262 import org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.*;
>   4 import org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil;
>  76 import org.apache.avalon.framework.context.Context;
> 112 import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.*;
>  22 import org.apache.avalon.framework.service.*;
>   2 import org.apache.avalon.phoenix.BlockContext;
>   2 import org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource;
>   2 import org.apache.commons.net.pop3.POP3Client;
>   2 import org.apache.commons.net.pop3.POP3MessageInfo;
>   6 import org.apache.excalibur.threadcontext.ThreadContext;
>
> What dependencies would you like to remove?
> What should be included in james?
> What should be ported to geronimo's or other container services?

I do not want to run under Geronimo, so...
My goal is to move James, more or less in it's current state to a new
environment, this new environment sort of determines what needs to be ported
and what needs to be provided by James itself.

> I think that POJOification is really a simple task compared to this
> analysis.

I agree, but I also believe that it's futile to try and do this analysis
upfront.

--Søren

> I don't know much about avalon stuff so I can't understand what should be
> removed to avoid too much dependency on not mantained code.
>
> Stefano

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager		Phone:	+45 72 30 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S	Fax:	+45 72 30 64 02
Ved Lunden 12		Direct:	+45 72 30 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj		Email:	soren.hilmer <at> tietoenator.com