james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Merging (was [VOTE] POJO pattern)
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:23:06 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>the merging process, which took almost 2 years (until now)
>
> Actually, not even one.  And that only because I got *really* busy, and was
> told that I should commit it finished rather than as a work-in-progress,
> which meant that no one else was contributing to it.

To be fair, Noel was doing yeoman's work for James in 2003 and 2004.
Here we are in Sept 2003 already calling MAIN dead and giving Noel flack
for not maintaining two branches...
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=james-dev&m=106392166516868&w=2

>>There is nothing to lose, we don't use anything from the
>>head anyway.
>
> That is entirely wrong, as noted above.  And part of the issue with the
> merger is making sure I don't lose any of those important parts.  Plus the
> crazy schedule I've been keeping since last June.

I saw the point was more that we would not lose anything (since
everything is in SVN) if we dumped what we have in MAIN (now trunk) and
replaced it with branch_2_1_fcs.  And, since we're agreeing on an
evolutionary move away from our current dependencies, we could replace
trunk with what's in branch_2_1_fcs to:
- have code releases come off of trunk (simpler), and
- only one branch to maintain (more efficient)

> Blame me if you want.  Enough validity in that, I suppose.  I recently
> installed a VM on my laptop to carry around a JAMES build environment, so
> that I can work when I catch time, and plan to start committing the merger
> in parts, rather than as a whole, so that others can help out.

As tempting as it is, you have done way too much to deserve blame.

Now that we are building consensus and direction, I'd like to simplify
our path to move us forward.  While it is painful to just kill a branch,
unless you suddenly become unemployed (or we massively and unfairly
guilt-trip you into skipping work for a week), I see it as the simplest
course of action.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501