james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Mina based SMTP Handler
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:55:59 GMT
Joe Cheng wrote:
> Serge Knystautas wrote:
>> It does look simpler, and it's definitely nice to see less stream
>> wrapping logic.
>
> Sorry to go a little off-topic, Serge, but do you mind me asking what
> you dislike about stream wrapping logic?
>
> I ask because the mime4j parser that Niklas Therning and I wrote is
> fundamentally designed around stream wrapping.

Oh, really just in the context of the protocol handler... e.g.,
1. the size limit was added that way, because that was the easiest
feasible way given the framework we had.
2. we have a base socket inputstream ... we wrap in one input stream for
a while when we handle commands because we want to handle line feeds
nicely.   Then in DATA phase we do it differently so that's a different
input stream wrapper to the socket inputstream.

Anyway, I have no objection on principle to the pattern.  Just became
something of an antipattern in the SMTP handler.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501