james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Mina based SMTP Handler
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:44:43 GMT
Mike Heath wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 11:11 -0400, Serge Knystautas wrote:
>>1. Line feeds... it seems the protocol handler is all line feed based, so:
>>   a. if client is sending crlf or lf, what impact does that have?
>
> This could potentially mess things up.  I'm working right now on making
> the protocol decoder more robust and integrating some of the cr/lf logic
> from James.

Cool.

> The decoder I'm using right now was copied straight out of one of
> Trustin's examples.  This was the simplest approach when I first started
> playing with Mina.

Can you swap out decoders?  I'm thinking what we want is one (set of?)
decoders during the command sequence, and then another during the DATA
phase.

>>2. Command impls... I saw you inlined all the commands into the SMTP
>>handler class... was this just done for simplicity, and would you see
>>any downside to splitting each command into its own class?  The benefit
>
> I think this is a great idea.  I in-lined all the command
> implementations because that's the way the James SMTP protocol handler
> does it.  I like the idea of separating each command into its own class
> and making it possible to customize how each command is handled.
> Excellent suggestion.

We had talked about it ages ago.  MINA lends itself much better to it
since the state info is self-contained.  SMTP isn't as big of a deal in
terms of size, but IMAP would benefit a lot given the much larger set of
commands.

> Thanks a lot Serge for your valuable feedback.

Thanks for taking a stab at this!  It seems like a good perpendicular
change to the container/POJO issues.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501