james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Cheng <c...@joecheng.com>
Subject Re: what competition is doing
Date Sun, 01 May 2005 05:57:08 GMT

>> We've just added some committers to James to incoporate MIME4j
>> (currently at http://mime4j.sourceforge.net/).  Maybe we consider
>> using that.
>
> Absolutely, and develop the rest of the NotJavaMail APIs around it.
> It looks like these guys know MIME and if there are problems I'm sure
> we can work with them in short order.  Once we get this effort off the
> ground we should ask them to join the Mailet2 subproject.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but note that mime4j only provides
read-only capabilities at this time.  mime4j doesn't directly support
creating or modifying messages.

On the other hand, emitting RFC822/MIME messages seems like a much
easier problem than parsing them.  The hard part IMO is coming up with
an API to let you work naturally with messages in a read/write fashion
while remaining performant and memory-efficient.