james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Hasan Ceylan" <hcey...@biletix.com>
Subject RE: JDBC Repository - Thoughts
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:03:13 GMT
- Yes I that is exactly what I am saying. James
issues 1 select statement for each and every mail in the repository.

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Angus [mailto:danny.angus@gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 4/14/2005 11:08 AM
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: JDBC Repository - Thoughts

> HC: I agree. It is an enforcement of the protocol. But fecthing the full message in the
second
> phase is done by one select at a time for each of the message in the table. These can
be bundled
> into group of tens or hundreds. This can even be a parameter in the configuration. But
while
> reading ahead the 5000+ mail into memory, clients timeout waiting for the first one to
be
> returned the to the client so timeout counter resets to zero.

Are you saying that James SELECTS each message one at a time, but does
this for every message when only one has been requested?

James should either, as you say, optimise its selects into a batch or
a select which returns multiple messages, or select each message only
when it is needed.

> On socket exhaustion this is client sockets to MYSQL server.

Hmm. I'll need to look into this it seems wrong. From experience James
and MySQL work well together but have some minor unresolved issues.

> HC: I think, select -> send -> select -> send would solve the %90 problem
> taking 1/10th of development effort comparing to the above suggestion.

I didn;t realise James isn;t doing select->send->select->send
I agree this is an issue.
Please raise it in JIRA  http://issues.apache.org/jira

> HC: You haven't commented on the second part of mail which is about
> using dynamic email addresses to respond to transaction based requests.
> Any thoughts?

I didn't say anthing because my memory of this isn't great, but... all
you need to do is to make a matcher which can match on an address
pattern, such as command-xxxx@domain.tld

then simply split the address into the parts that make up your command.

I seem to remember that AvalonListservManager and
GenericListservManager process the address and CommandForListserv is
the matcher

d.