james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Heath <m...@cycletime.com>
Subject New Mailet API - Was Re: what competition is doing
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 17:45:50 GMT
I really like the idea of collaborating on a new mailet API.  Getting
more parties involved will help create a better mail processing
platform.

As I've been porting the SMTP protocol handler over to MINA and after
having written a few mailets for various tasks, I would like throw in a
couple of things I would like to see in the new mailet specification.

- Mailet staging - It would be really nice to be able to have different
stages for mailet execution.  The first stage would start when the SMTP
DATA command is received.  This mailets would only be able to process
based on data such as: remote IP, helo/ehlo host name, recipients,
sender, user, whether TLS is enabled or not etc.  This would also make
it possible to reject the incoming message before it has been received
in its entirety.  The second stage would start after all the headers
have been received and the third stage would start when the entire
message has been received.
- Mailets as deployable units - I don't know if this should go into the
new mailet specification itself but it would be nice if mailets could be
made into discrete deployable units.  I would like to be able to take a
jar file with my mailets, matchers and some type of deployment
descriptor and just give it to the mail server.  I think this would make
it much simpler for administrators to use third-party mailets.  I can
see this happening with JBoss as this seams to follow closely with their
easy deploy philosophy.
- Multiple mailets per matcher.  I have a couple of different matchers
that are expensive to run (Naive Bayes classifiers) that I would like to
have multiple mailets process.  To do this I've had to create a separate
spool and my James config file has gotten very messy.
- Process to allow mailets to run for a non-match.  Besides specifying
which mailets should run on a positive match, it would be nice to be
able to specify mailets that should run on an negative match.

Just my $0.02.

-Mike