james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Heath <m...@cycletime.com>
Subject RE: New Mailet API - Was Re: what competition is doing
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 21:02:28 GMT
On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 16:32 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
<snip>
> > I'm pretty excited about ActiveMQ (http://activemq.codehaus.org/)
> > which we could bundle, and then provide any JMS integration.
>
> We can look, but I'm concerned about performance.
>
> HOWEVER, one of the OTHER major things to look at is breaking out SMTP, the
> mailet container (main pipeline), POP3 and IMAP into separate processes.
> That way, an admin can run just protocol handlers as root, and give more
> limited access to the main pipeline.  And we can cluster the pipeline.

I too have been looking closely at integrating ActiveMQ.  It seams like
an excellent approach to solving cluster problems.  I really like Noel's
idea for separating out the protocol handlers too.

If performance is an issue, the ActiveMQ project already has some JMeter
performance tests, http://activemq.codehaus.org/JMeter+Performance
+Tests.  It should be a fairly straight forward process to see how
ActiveMQ compares to James' existing solution.

-Mike