james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <sknystau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mailet API: Mail Attributes, Recipient Attributes, Mail.duplicate()
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 01:57:12 GMT
> Sounds as if we want a Recipient class for internal use, rather than just a
> String containing the e-mail address.  And if we are going to make this
> change, we should at the same time attack the problem Serge wanted to
> address, which supports having nested collections, not just Strings and/or
> Recipients.

I don't remember why we started allowing recipients to be String
instead of MailAddress.  MailAddress was designed to be for
recipients, but I guess it was clumsy to use or something.  Anyway,
then this would have been perfect to extend MailAddress with one that
has attributes.  The idea of per-recipient attributes was never
considered (AFAIK).

All I wanted in terms of nesting Collections was to implement what we
wrote into the API years ago...
http://james.apache.org/mailet/org/apache/mailet/Matcher.html.  I
rewrote the LinearProcessor to handle this, but I don't think I
finished testing and it needs to be migrated to the MAIN (trunk,
whatever SVN calls it).

> What do we propose to do about compatibility with existing matchers and
> mailets?  One approach would be to keep the existing methods as they are
> (setter/getter pair for Collection<String>), and reimplement the old methods
> in terms of the new ones.

I can't say I have any constructive idea on here without just tossing
the whole API out and starting over with these issues in mind.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501