james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JAMES ... now that we (may be) merged, where to?
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 08:14:20 GMT
On 09/05/05, apache@bago.org <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> > However, my primary interests in contributing to James have
> > been the POJOfication of James, which seams to have been
> > placed on the back burner, and MINA.  I'm also not sure how
> > to proceed with using MINA within James since doing so would
> > require JDK 1.5 which does not seam to be kosher for the time being.
>
> I think POJOfication is currently a must: other commiters have more TODOs in
> the list but I think we all want POJO!
> This first step of trunk/branch_2_1_fcs merge that updated to the latest
> phoenix was only a needed step to have a common codebase!

Yeah, I know it isn;t top of other people's lists but it is, and has
been for as long as I can remember, near the top of mine.

I think you'll also find that Serge has long held the ambition for
James to be Avalon-agnostic  if not avalon-free so without second
guessing him I'm sure any effort put into removing direct container
dependance would be well worth your effort.

Removing container dependance is IMO important for the project's
survival, specifically dealing with Avalon's closure in a practical
way is important to demonstrate that James isn't going to be
end-of-lined.

All of our ambitions for James depend upon the continued sucess of the
project, and that depends upon us addressing the container issue. It
is the elephant in the living room, do what we like we can't ignore
it.

d.