james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wanted: Volunteers for Fast-Fail Proposal/Implementation
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 08:20:29 GMT
On 09/05/05, apache@bago.org <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> In a REAL SMTP environment I think we need to allow custom behaviour in
> reply to the "RCPT TO" (recipient not local, relay not allowed) and in reply
> to the "DATA" commands (this is spam, mail too big, no virus please, other
> content filters).

My proposal addresses this.

> The latter could be addressed with the pre-processor (but please find a
> solution to my question: what happen if the preprocessor splits the mail?)
> but the rcpt reply not.

My proposal would have any rule in any command handler of any protocol
capable of returning a hard or soft fail response with a custom
message generated in response to the exact mode of failure, by the
rule that judged the command to fail.

> For the "RCPT TO:" stuff I think we should add a specific handler, but I
> would hardcode the management of this handler and leave for later the
> automatic extensibility for each command!

Why? If we simply refactor the doXYZ() methods into
ProtocolCommand.execute(String command, Object state)

we get the architecture. I did HELO, EHLO & RCPT TO  last night.

> Can you point to other situations in the SMTP session that needs
> extensibility at deploy time?

To add extended commands per ESMTP without having to modify the core
SMTP commands.

d.