james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: New Mailet API - Was Re: what competition is doing
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 20:32:40 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> One thing that always bug me about webapps is how they restart.

No reason at all why we can't handle it "right" for our needs.  Messages in
the processor would continue until it was done.  When the processor is
finished, it would exit.  New messages arriving for that processor, by name,
would be handled by the revised configuration.

Sort of like a graceful restart with httpd.

> The only reason I can't see doing this is if you were changing socket
> bindings, which neither servlets nor mailets should.

Non-issue for mailets, since they should only process mail that is already
in the spool.  And should never see sockets or similar.

> I'm pretty excited about ActiveMQ (http://activemq.codehaus.org/)
> which we could bundle, and then provide any JMS integration.

We can look, but I'm concerned about performance.

HOWEVER, one of the OTHER major things to look at is breaking out SMTP, the
mailet container (main pipeline), POP3 and IMAP into separate processes.
That way, an admin can run just protocol handlers as root, and give more
limited access to the main pipeline.  And we can cluster the pipeline.

	--- Noel