james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: JAMES ... now that we (may be) merged, where to?
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 17:18:59 GMT
Mike Heath wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I would like to get this version stable, and we can branch it as a JDK
> > 1.3 branch, so that we'll have something good for people still stuck
> > on JDK 1.3.  Then we can look at moving mainstream development (trunk)
> > to require JDK 1.4.

> If James is to use Mina and is to support TLS, we'll have to use JDK
> 1.5.

Yes, I know.

> Obviously *I* would like to see James incorporate my Mina based
> SMTP handler.

So would I.  However, this is where we run into some issues and some
options.

First, the server is a pluggable component, so we can build different
packages for JDK 1.3 and JDK 1.5.  Second, if the NIO code were in the
connection area instead of the handler, itself, that would be an even
smaller set of code that needed to be plugged.  But that may not be a
worthwhile tradeoff, especially with all of the other work you've done, so
we go back to pluggable servers.

And the comments I made to Stefano about Committer status apply to you, too.

	--- Noel