james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Mailet API: Mail Attributes, Recipient Attributes, Mail.duplicate()
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 01:11:12 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> While implementing DSN support for James I've had a doubt: are attributes
> supposed to be duplicated when Mail.duplicate() is calles? I think they
> should be duplicated but currently MailImpl simply does a
attributes.clone()
> that simply clone the HashMap and not the attributes!

Sounds like a bug.  Please submit a patch.

> I don't like [the] way recipients are handled
> I get access to the MailAddress collection and I can do everything,
> share the collection with other mailimpls and similar bad things.

> I also need to add recipient attributes working like mail attributes

> I think we should add to MailetAPIs methods to addrecipient,
> removerecipient, changerecipient, getRecipientAttribute and
> setRecipientAttribute.

Sounds as if we want a Recipient class for internal use, rather than just a
String containing the e-mail address.  And if we are going to make this
change, we should at the same time attack the problem Serge wanted to
address, which supports having nested collections, not just Strings and/or
Recipients.

What do we propose to do about compatibility with existing matchers and
mailets?  One approach would be to keep the existing methods as they are
(setter/getter pair for Collection<String>), and reimplement the old methods
in terms of the new ones.

Any proposals for the new method signatures?

Done right, we can roll this into the build without breaking anything, and
that means we can ship it as a new feature without an API break.

	--- Noel