james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: Multiple spoolmanagers patch.
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 08:05:03 GMT

Stefano,

> When a sendMail is done (even with the state option) the mail enter in
the
> main spoolmanager and I think I can't/shouldn't do anything to avoid
this.

> I see that currently the "error" processor is handled differently in
> different classes.

> How do you think we should handle this?

I don't real have time to think this one out. The only really important
things are that whatever you do it should..
1/ be easy to explain and to understand your change.
The more people who understand it and can explain it the easier it will be
to have people accept it, no matter how radical it might be.
2/ follow the "principle of least surprise" so as not to upset users who
think they understand how to configure James.
In this respect backwards compatibility and predictable behaviour are the
keys.
For instance when adding new attributes to configuration I always make them
default to the old behaviour when they are missing, and if my change is not
going to be compatable I'll try to add a compatibility option or a
workaround for the people who will have to plan a dev-test cycle for their
own code/config before upgrading.

If you do that then you will probably be OK.

d.

viruses.