james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Heath <mhe...@avaloninc.com>
Subject RE: James IMAP @ Google SOC: not too late, I hope?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:16:36 GMT
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 04:16 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> We still can't, at least without changes.  James-HA depends upon JGroups,
> which is licensed under the LGPL.  It is unfortunate that most developers
> don't understand licensing.  Contrary to what the JGroups license page says,
> every *lawyer* with whom we have consulted concurs that the LGPL and
> Classpath license are as equally viral as the GPL when applied to Java.
> This is one of the reasons for ActiveMQ.

Noel, per you suggestion (http://tinyurl.com/c95ph), James-HA depends on
JCluster (https://jcluster.dev.java.net/) which is BSD licensed.
JGroups is the current group communication implementation being used.
So, is the JGroups LGPL license really an issue?  My impression, based
on your email that I linked to above, was that by using JCluster, the
JGroups licensing is not an issue.

> That issue aside, we obviously want to see this sort of functionality
> brought into JAMES.  If Mike wants to do so, that'd be fine.  I'm also
> interested in seeing the NIO-based approach applied for connections.

I'm continuing to develop MINA based protocol handlers.  In fact, the
project is moving to safehaus.org and is really gaining momentum.  I
think the MINA architecture would serve JAMES well as much of the talk
regarding fast-fail overlaps work already done in MINA itself.  I'm also
playing around with creating a simple MINA based SMTP client.  I think
this could greatly improve the the efficiency of sending a large number
of emails.

-Mike