james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Heath <mhe...@avaloninc.com>
Subject Distributed lock Was: James IMAP @ Google SOC: not too late, I hope?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:35:00 GMT
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 13:05 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > per you suggestion (http://tinyurl.com/c95ph), James-HA depends on
> > JCluster (https://jcluster.dev.java.net/) which is BSD licensed.
>
> Ah ... your code has comment references to JGroups, such as:
>
>   groupName - The JGroups group name used for the distributed locking.
>   protocolStack - The JGroups protocol stack used for the distributed
> locking.
>
> which is what I was reading.  If there are no code points that touch
> JGroups, that does help.

To clarify, I fixed all the comments that made reference to JGroups.
Since we're pointing out the flaws in the James-HA distributed lock, I
should not that it is not perfect.  The most glaring flaw is that it
does not have a method for shutting down and removing itself from the
group communication channel.  This should be an easy fix though.  I
should also point out that the code in CVS HEAD is the only code that
works well.  I would also like to make the distributed lock easier to
configure.

In spite of these problems, the distributed lock does function and has
passed all of my tests.  I would still like to do more robust testing to
ensure  the lock will still work well in a large cluster under heavy
load.

I am willing to work out any issues with the distributed lock if James
wants to include it.

<snip>

-Mike