james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Carlos Murillo <muri...@inet.co.cr>
Subject RE: Proposal for Web Admin Console
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:02:54 GMT
> > Rather, I feel that we want to enhance our primitive JMX support, and have
> > administration tools use that interface.

JMX is, I think, the standard way to expose management functionality
(Java Management Extensions) so you are right, this is clearly the best
way to integrate a web management console.

> I've looked at the JMX support before and there was one show-stopping issue:
> no security on the JMX invocations. We need to make sure that at least only
> "root" can access the JMX services.

RMI for JMX has no visible security that i could find.  The JMX HTTP
adapter has basic authentication and SSL. MX4J also has a SOAP
Connector/ConnectorServer combo.  If a servlet container was included in
James we could expose all functionality as web services via SOAP with
basic authentication.  This would allow for easy communication between
the web admin console and James and also allow advanced functionality
such as autodiscovery mechnisms between multiple instances of James
servers on the same network.

--
Juan Carlos Murillo <murillo@inet.co.cr>