james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Cheng <c...@joecheng.com>
Subject Re: Summer of code - IMAP
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:30:23 GMT
Jason Webb wrote:

>BTW IMAP4v1 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2060.txt is a complex protocol.
>Implementing IMAP on James may sound glamorous but it is *very* complicated.
>I'm not trying to put people off, just to make sure you make an informed
>choice.

+1.  Not a nice protocol to work with.  SMTP and POP are at least an
order of magnitude more straightforward.

>You may note from the proposals directory that Darrell has provided a
>complete IMAP stack that works, so there is no protocol work to do.

Is the SEARCH command implemented?  Last time I checked, it was just
stubbed out with a TODO.  It's a non-trivial command to parse.  I've got
some code we could use, or an intern could do it as an interesting
parsing exercise.

Also it would be nice to have IDLE as well.  The protocol part of that
should be trivial, though.