james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Cheng <c...@joecheng.com>
Subject Re: Summer of code - IMAP
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:36:47 GMT
Are you sure Lucene is appropriate for implementing IMAP search?  As far
as I can tell, IMAP search is supposed to be a straight substring match,
whereas Lucene is designed to find tokens (as is any inverted-index
search strategy that I am aware of).  Let me know if I need to elaborate
on this.

Of course, we could conciously decide that James will have a fast but
technically non-compliant search facility instead of a slow but
compliant one...