james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Chad Akins <bigca...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Summer of Code
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:46:58 GMT
Daniel Perry wrote:

>>The project I have in mind is the List Management portion of the ToDo.
>>

>Decent lists would be nice. (i have started some code for a configurable
>list manager, ie. one mailet/matcher for multiple dynamically configured
>lists, but not finished it)

Cool, could be the useful for a foundation as well as

CommandListServManager and AvalonListservManager

>>Specifically I'd like to add command capabilitys similar to
>>http://www.ezmlm.org/ezman/ezman5.html#ss5.1 EZMLM.
>>

>The CommandListServManager mailet does this. Not all the commands are there,
>but they would require list archiving (of at least recent messages), etc,
>which james doesnt have.
>
>I quite sure we'd be happy to have someone improve list support.  But, i
>think that storage, management and config should come first, before
>implementing more commands.
>

>eg.
>
>Make lists dynamically configurable - not hard coded, one list per mailet.
>You should only need one mailet for all lists (obviously you should be able
>to have more than one for e.g. different repositories)
>
>Storage of subscriber attributes - non-existant in current list. Check out
>the subscribe/subscirbe-confirm command - it's a joke - the subscribe
>command just tells you to mail the subscribe-confirm command; there's no
>requirement to have ever mailed subscribe in the first place, which
>undermines the whole point of subscribe-confirm.
>
>I think Noel made the case for LDAP configuration of lists.  I have never
>used LDAP, so i cant offer an informed comment, but i can say that it looks
>like a good idea based on what i do know about it.
>
>Have you seen:

Yes, adding Configurable Persistance for configuration as well as
Messages and for Message workflow could be a portion of the project as well.

>>Would someone be interested in being my Mentor?
>>

>I'm not a commiter or anything in the james project (except occasional
>moaner) so i guess i cant.
>
>Daniel.

Your help and insight would be appriciated as well as anone else.  I
feel I could use as many Mentor as are willing, offical or unofficial:)