james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Irv Salisbury <irv.salisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Embedding James in an application
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 04:26:57 GMT
We have a need to embed mail like functionality inside our
application.  We don't need the SMTP and POP3 portions of a mail
server.  We need the concept of an inbox, trash, different users,
mailing "lists", etc.  Does this seem like a fit for James?

Also, can you use James in an "embedded mode" where it doesn't have
the transports, but is simply called from Java?

I hope to be able to give back anything we develop.  Our application
is cocoon based, so if this works out, we will be writing a James
transformer that works with XML commands and returns XML messages.
So, I guess another question is, has anyone already done this?  (Don't
need to reinvent the wheel)

Any other suggestions or places to look would be appreciated.  I am
sure if this passes the "smell" test I'll be asking a lot more
questions.

Thanks,

Irv