james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Irv Salisbury <irv.salisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedding James in an application
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:36:58 GMT
Thanks for the info.  I don't really want to use IMAP either.  I
really need it to be just embedded, where I call the Java apis and it
talks directly to the database.  I just need the structure of the
folders, users, etc.  Does it still sound plausible?

Irv

On 6/22/05, Danny Angus <Danny_Angus@slc.co.uk> wrote:
> Irv
>
> > We don't need the SMTP and POP3 portions of a mail
> > server.  We need the concept of an inbox, trash, different users,
> > mailing "lists", etc.  Does this seem like a fit for James?
>
> Sounds like James with IMAP is what you need.
> Sadly IMAP is still under development, but we're hoping a google funded
> student will help us to increase the momentum.
>
> > Also, can you use James in an "embedded mode" where it doesn't have
> > the transports, but is simply called from Java?
>
> Yes and no, it is highly likely that James would be able to meet your
> requirement without being fully embedded (i.e. running in the same jvm)
>
> > I hope to be able to give back anything we develop.  Our application
> > is cocoon based, so if this works out, we will be writing a James
> > transformer that works with XML commands and returns XML messages.
>
> Cool.
>
> > So, I guess another question is, has anyone already done this?  (Don't
> > need to reinvent the wheel)
>
> theres the idea of a cocoon mailet posted here
> http://wiki.apache.org/james/MailetIdeas
>
> and Nicola discussed james/cocoon with us a year or two ago.
>
> d.

> The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s) only.
If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended
reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limit