james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Perry" <d.pe...@netcase.co.uk>
Subject RE: Google Summer Of Code - Interfaces
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:04:11 GMT

> Another question: Are people happier with JSP or Java Servlets? Yes,
> in the end, they compile out to the same thing, but sometimes I hear
> quasi-religious wars on which deployment solution is the best ;-)

Both!

Niether are particularly good at producing a sensible system.

JSPs are great for displaying stuff, but suck at doing anything - big
scriptlets are unmanageable.

Similarly Servlets are much better suited at making code to do stuff, but
suck at outputting html with their million and one  "response.write" lines.

Take a look at struts (struts.apache.org), it marries the two up nicely.
Actions for code to do stuff (similar to servlets) and JSPs for display (ie
html, JSTL, etc).

Daniel.