james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Perry" <d.pe...@netcase.co.uk>
Subject new mail list implementation (partial)
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:49:26 GMT
I mentioned a while ago that I had started work on a new mailing list
system.

Anyway, it's basically a (messy) refactoring of the CommandListServ, to
allow multiple dynamically-configured lists.  It uses a helper class to
manage users, lists, etc, so it can be modified to use any data source
without delving into the mailet.  I got the basic functionality working
(excluding resources), and then got busy at work, bought a house, etc, and
haven't had time to play further.

My plans were:
1. sort out resources in some clever way
2. add archiving of messages (possibly directly to an NNTP store)
3. add the functionality that archiving allows - retrieve messages command,
digest mode, etc.
4. extend the helper to include methods for managing lists (subscribe,
modify subscription, etc)
5. provide a servlet for managing lists (inc user self-management of
subscriptions etc) - would use same helper classes (which is why I tried to
keep them reasonably james independent - except for mailaddress)
6. provide an LDAP implementation of the helper
7. provide an XML implementation of the helper
8. provide an archives browser

Maybe when I get some time I will try and complete some of these, but if
anyone wants to take it on (GSOC - Chad???) I'd be happy to help out.

The code is in a zip file multilistserv.zip at:
http://dirk.netcase.co.uk/~daniel/james/

Daniel.