james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Google Summer Of Code - Interfaces
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:48:07 GMT
Anne,

Anything you do specifically with config.xml and user repositories today may
not work in future versions of JAMES, since we want to move to a more
flexibile idea of configuration.

Alternatively, you might create a model of what JAMES configuration should
be, and then look at how to map between that model and today's configuration
points.  Take a look at http://wiki.apache.org/james/MailingListManager as
an example, where the entire configuration for the MLM is intended to be
stored in a Directory Server.

Personally, I feel that this might be a good way to go for JAMES in general,
which would support dynamic reconfiguration, easy admin, clustering, etc.
When I look at WebSphere Application Server, they have a similar directory
idea, except using the file system instead of a Directory Server to store
their configuration.  ezmlm also uses the file system, whereas the
aforementioned MLM proposal takes similar ideas and moves them into a modern
directory server, instead.

Things that could come of this:

  - A revisiting and better understanding of JAMES components,
    configuration and relationships.
  - A flexible structure for managing JAMES configuration
  - A mapping between that structure and today's limited
    capabilities (the XML files and user repository)
  - JMX support and documentation
  - Interfaces (UI and/or BSF) to the JMX support.

Completing the first two would be a major win, and would enable the
remainder.

	--- Noel