james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Summer of Code - JAMES Fastfail and Clustering
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:25:54 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:

> In my opinion (There may be some disagreement about where we're going
> with this!) Fast Fail is about extending the SMTP protocol to include
> validations

+1

Although the scope of "validation" covers that neccessary to determine that
we will accept the responsibility for delivery, which can lead to some other
things.  For example, I would probably configure virtual user mapping within
the protocol handler, which would allow me to reject unknown users
in-protocol instead of via bounce notices.  But this should be a
configurable choice, ideally using the same code.  So far I have noticed
that AOL rejects in their pipeline, Hotmail rejects at RCPT and Yahoo!
rejects after DATA.

> The James project want to implement this is a way which complies with
> our architectural policy.

> The next part is to design some kind of simple API (and implement it
> in James) which will allow "rules" to be developed and applied
> declaratively through configuration

This is an area where I think that the approach I took would work really
well.  I looked at the configuration side, and the SMTPHandler as a
container managing and inspecting the handlers plugged into it.  I look
forward to your feedback.

We're not that far apart.  Were it not for SoC timing, I'd suggest that we
hammer things out at ApacheCon EU in July.

	--- Noel