james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: James IMAP @ Google SOC: not too late, I hope?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:05:28 GMT
Mike Heath wrote:

> per you suggestion (http://tinyurl.com/c95ph), James-HA depends on
> JCluster (https://jcluster.dev.java.net/) which is BSD licensed.

Ah ... your code has comment references to JGroups, such as:

  groupName - The JGroups group name used for the distributed locking.
  protocolStack - The JGroups protocol stack used for the distributed
locking.

which is what I was reading.  If there are no code points that touch
JGroups, that does help.

> My impression, based on your email that I linked to above, was that
> by using JCluster, the JGroups licensing is not an issue.

Yes, I believe that to be the case, so this would be a different story.
FWIW, as far as I understand it, ActiveMQ (http://activemq.codehaus.org) is
the semantic successor to JCluster.

> I'm continuing to develop MINA based protocol handlers.  In fact, the
> project is moving to safehaus.org and is really gaining momentum.  I
> think the MINA architecture would serve JAMES well as much of the talk
> regarding fast-fail overlaps work already done in MINA itself.

If you want to contribue to JAMES, which I believe is the mutual desire,
doing development elsewhere just makes it a longer road to get into our
codebase.

As for MINA, I agree with the approach to use a NIO-based framework, and I
like what we're doing with MINA, but I believe that it would be a mistake to
tie our fast-fail to MINA.  It isn't necessary as far as I can see, and I
believe that Trustin concurs.  As far as I can see, all we need from MINA is
RFC compliant handling to deliver properly terminated lines, which we'll
take from there.

	--- Noel