james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Anne S <hyperfl...@gmail.com>
Subject Google Summer Of Code - Interfaces
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 04:56:58 GMT
(I'm resending this, looks like something ate up my previous email.
Sorry if this shows up two times in the mailing list.)

Well, it looks like I've been beaten to the punch. Two people have
already posted comments on the Summer of Code!

I have filed an application with Google (presumably soon to be routed
to the James developers) to work on the James email server. I would
like to work on making the James server more user friendly, by
creating GUI interfaces to James' config.xml and the Remote Manager
Service. My full application is located at
http://wasitseen.com/applicationtxt.txt

The summary is simple: Create a web based Java Servlets interface to
the Remote Manager Service. Such an interface would allow quick, easy
changes to the James Server (setting forwarding, adding/removing
users, etc). Secondly, create a GUI based interface to config.xml (A
Java application, keeping with the theme of 100% Java purity in
James).

I've lurked in the James mailing lists long enough (since 2003, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/server-user@james.apache.org/msg00781.html,
I was compwiz24) to know that many, if not most problems, can be
solved through intelligent use of the config.xml file. The problem is,
of course, configuring config.xml properly. I'd like to try and
address that problem, by simplifying common tasks/requests into a
wizard based walkthrough, that would configure config.xml properly.

A Java Servlets web interface to the Remote Manager Service greatly
simplifies basic server administration as well. Such an interface
would help James compete with more established email solutions, that
already have GUI interfaces for the simple, day to day changes to the
server.

This is my way of returning the help the James community has given to
me. I would appreciate any comments you may have.