james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Zumbrunn <ch...@zumbrunn.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for Web Admin Console
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:25:24 GMT
On Jun 24, 2005, at 1:20 AM, Nguyen Trong Hung wrote:

> Juan Carlos Murillo wrote:
>
>>> You may think it will be small and simple, but I've always found that
>>> these things grow to be larger than you expect.  Anything more than a
>>> one or two page HTML base web stie will benefit from using some kind
>>> of
>>> web framework - and it is much easier to start using one from the
>>> beginning that to try and migrate later.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> I think you might be right about this, but I really do hate the
>> religious aspect of choosing web frameworks, which most of the time
>> just
>> bloat projects, but that's just my preference.
>>
>> I think we could benefit from using the Java Standard Tag Libraries,
>> which will clean up our jsps, but am not really sold on bringing in
>> Tapestry, WebWorks, Struts or SpringMVC/WebFlow.
>> How about we prototype some more, maybe develop four or five basic
>> functionalities and reevaluate to see if it is getting messy and we
>> need
>> a framework?
>>
> I also think that a web framework is great for web admin console.
> However, it should be lightweight, simple
> easy to use and standard compliant (work great with JSTL). I think we
> should take a poll from people
> who are interested in contributing to this project as well as
> committers of James.

If you would want to go in the other direction and use a bare-bones
approach then directly embedding Apache XML-RPC in James may be a
clever solution. That way James could offer an XML-RPC admin interface
and a built-in bare-bones Web-Admin tool and the total solution would
only add about 90KB to James. Apache XML-RPC contains a built-in Web
Server that is normally only used to serve XML-RPC request - but it
probably could be tweaked to directly serve some simple html pages
also.

Chris