james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefano Bagnara" <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [ GSoC - failfast SMTP ] Architecture and suggestion
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:23:18 GMT
> From what I understand you are proposing an architecture
> based on MINA. Currently JAMES is built on Avalon 4.0 server
> frame work. I have designed the protocol handler framework in
> such a that it can be ported to MINA as well.
>
> The IN protocol framework expects the following 3 things from
> the underlying server kernel
>
>        ProtocolHandler to be run as separate thread
>        Socket object is passed to it
>        A mechanism to read the XML config file
>
> In future if JAMES migrates to MINA architecture, I think
> James.java can be modified and no change need be done to the
> protocol handler framework that I am proposing.

You are comparing MINA to Phoenix. I think a more appropriate comparison
would be "your Protocolo Handler Framework" against "MINA". MINA is a
network handling framework and not a container. MINA will support
integration with few containers in future (Spring, OSGi).
IMHO most of your proposal is really similar to what MINA already do.

I think that you could look better to Mina and talk with Mike Heath that was
developing an SMTP implementation over Mina. (search for "Mina based SMTP
handler" in the archives): this probably will make your work easier and it
would be good for the Apache community to share common libraries.

E.g: if we use Mina we will get JMX for the protocol handlers for free as
soon as they implement it (already in roadmap for Mina 1.1).

Stefano