james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefano Bagnara" <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Next release (Was: Merging version 2.2.1 to 3.0 and 3.0 roadmap)
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:13:05 GMT
> > General to all code developed and/or exported from the USA that
> > contains any crypto code.  Adding S/MIME support to JAMES
> created the problem.
>
> Well the problem is not the S/MIME code itself, as it merely
> leverages on the BouncyCastle api for the crypto-routines.
> The fact that we bundle BouncyCastle is actually the real problem.
>
> Why not have users download BC themselves (like with JavaMail
> and JAF), this would avoid the BXA issues.
>
> This is also the approach chosen by "Apache XML Security",
> see bottom of this
> page:
> http://xml.apache.org/security/Java/installation.html

For source distribution we can automate the downloading process but what
about binary distributions?
We currently need bc* jars in the .sar file: I know it is a simple zip file,
but many people could find this difficult.

We should also find a solution for GPL/LGPL mysql drivers: AFAIK we should
not have GPL/LGPL code committed in ASF repositories.
I think we should remove the bundled mysql driver and put a link to the
download in the config.xml.

Stefano